ACC Basketball Betting Guide: 4 Teams Can Win It All
The ACC dominated college basketball last season with the No. 1 team for much of the year and the eventual national champion, but both Duke and Virginia lost a lot to the NBA.
Now it’s a top-heavy league with four legitimate Final Four candidates and a lot of other teams that will be scrambling to make the Big Dance. Fans of college basketball betting should have four ACC teams high on their list of national contenders.
Betting favorite Duke adds a loaded recruiting class to a few returnees like point guard Tre Jones and forward Javin DeLaurier. North Carolina returns just one starter, forward Garrison Brooks, but adds a proven scorer in graduate transfer Christian Keeling. Louisville has stacked its roster with high-impact freshmen and transfers, while Virginia returns three top players from the squad that cut down the nets in Minneapolis.
ACC Basketball Preseason Odds to Win Conference
ACC Basketball Betting Tips
- Duke and North Carolina are the league favorites, but are they good bets to win the national championship? The talent will be there, but it will also be very young, and teams dominated by freshmen often struggle to go all the way in March. Take into consideration that each of the past four national champions — Virginia, Villanova, North Carolina and Villanova — has been powered by upperclassmen.
- Virginia was one of the nation’s best college basketball odds bets against the spread in 2018-19, going 26-12. While the Cavaliers lost three starters off that team to the NBA, they return two starters, their backup point guard who will shift to the starting role, and coach Tony Bennett’s system — which dominates tempo and doesn’t change, regardless of the personnel running it.
- Duke and North Carolina will be more heavily bet than most other ACC teams, given their name recognition among the public. That means a lot of amateur money in the market, potentially influencing the line. Savvier bettors might consider games involving other ACC squads, where the college basketball consensus is less likely to be driven by name recognition or favoritism.
- While the ACC might be thin on legitimate Final Four teams, there are several squads in the middle of the pack capable of point-spread upsets over the big boys. Florida State is always long and athletic, new coach Mike Young brings his giant-killing system to Virginia Tech, North Carolina State has won 20-plus games in consecutive seasons, and Syracuse, despite the loss of three starters, will play a more fluid offensive style to go along with its trademark zone.
- On the other hand, the bottom of the ACC is as bad as it’s been in some time: Georgia Tech is on probation, Boston College is a mess, Wake Forest and Pittsburgh are searching and Notre Dame is coming off a losing season. That almost certainly means lopsided games against the league’s top teams, especially when those bottom-feeders are playing on the road.
CHECK OUT: Ultimate 2019-20 College Hoops Betting Guide