Best PA Online Casinos
Pennsylvania online casinos are not only live and running, they’re expanding. Three more joined the PA online marketplace in January 2020. Bookies.com can help sort through and recommend the best ones for you.
Bookies.com is not just about sports bettors. We also have a team of experienced reviewers who evaluate every PA online gambling site. We examine the online and mobile experience for all casino games, including slots, blackjack and video poker on both Android and iOS systems. We also compare security features and help simplify the fine print on sign-up offers.
We only recommend legal casino sites that are fully licensed and regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board. We do no review or recommend any offshore-based online gaming sites, which are not regulated and expose players to unnecessary risks.
Regulated by the PA Gaming Control Board
PA Players Accepted
100% Welcome Bonus up to $500 + 500 Free Spins
$10 Free on Registration + First two deposits matched up to $251 each time
100% Welcome Bonus up to $500 + $10 Free Play
25% Welcome Bonus up to $500
100% Welcome Bonus up to $250
100% Welcome Bonus up to $250
How Bookies Picked the Best Online Casinos in Pennsylvania
Our team of independent reviewers has been evaluating online casino sites for years. They sign up for an account and wager to help guide their decisions. Among the criteria used in determining which sites make the cut:
Bonus offers: Bonuses and promotions for new players vary by online operator. We determine which are the most lucrative, least restrictive and easiest to claim. We also compare the generosity of loyalty programs for existing players and VIPs.
Safety: We recommend only online casino sites that are regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, which oversees the state gambling’s industry. No offshore-based sites are considered. This ensures all of your online gaming deposits and withdrawals are safe and secure.
Game selection: As the number of PA online casinos grow, so should your choice of games. The top casino sites must provide a broad sampling of table games and video poker, as well as slots with progressive jackpots and competitive payout rates.
Mobile experience: While technology keeps improving, no two online casino apps are the same. Our reviewers examine ease-of-navigation and software speed in determining which sites offer the most player-friendly mobile experience.
Creating an account: The process should be quick and easy with a variety of options for deposits and withdrawals.
Are Online Casinos Legal in PA?
Online casino gambling was legalized by PA lawmakers in October 2017 as part of a major gambling expansion bill. HB 271 made PA the fourth state to legalize online gambling (after New Jersey, Delaware and Nevada) and made legal a long list of online betting games, including slots, poker, table games, video gambling terminals, daily fantasy sports, lottery and keno. It also paved the way for sports betting in PA.
PA online casinos did not sprout up overnight after the bill’s passage. The state’s high tax rates and licensing fees caused operators to move cautiously. Hollywood, Parx Online and SugarHouse were the first online sites to launch in July 2019, almost two years after HB 271 became law.
The industry gradually gained its footing and revenues have steadily increased each month (a record $11.8 million in January 2020, not including online poker or sports betting). By February, PA was home to eight online casino sites after three joined the marketplace in January.
Illegal vs. Legal Online Casinos in Pennsylvania
Bookies.com only recommends playing at PA-licensed online casinos and never at offshore-based sites. Among the reasons:
- Only sites licensed and regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board are operating legally.
- Your accounts are secure at PA-licensed sites. Withdrawing funds from an offshore-based account can be risky because U.S. banks are not allowed to knowingly engage in transactions with them.
- PA-licensed online gambling sites are required by law to protect your personal information.
- Players can contact the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board to help resolve an issue or complaint they may have with a legal PA online casino operator. If an offshore online casino site was to shut down, players have no recourse in this country.
Legal PA Online Casino List
|Site||Licensing Casino||Software||Launch Date|
|Hollywood Casino PA||PA Penn National||IGT||July 15, 2019|
|Parx Online Casino||Parx Casino||GAN||July 15, 2019|
|SugarHouse Online PA||Rivers Casino Philadelphia||Rush Street||July 17, 2019|
|PokerStars Casino PA||Mount Airy Casino||PokerStars||Nov. 4, 2019|
|Unibet Casino PA||Mohegan Sun Pocono||Kindred||Nov. 13, 2019|
|FanDuel Casino PA||Valley Forge Casino||IGT/GAN||Jan. 24, 2020|
|BetRivers Casino||Rivers Casino Pittsburgh||Rush Street||Jan. 30, 2020|
|BetAmerica PA||Presque Isle Downs||IGT/SB Tech||Jan. 30, 2020|
A closer look at each online casino operator:
Hollywood Casino PA
Has one of the largest slot games selections in the state and the numbers to prove it. Partner of Penn National and IGT earned 89 percent of its online game revenue through slots play in January 2020. Hollywood offers a solid no-deposit sign-up that requires playing though the bonus money only one time before redeeming. Hollywood also successfully bid for a pair of mini-casinos, both currently under construction, in Morgantown and York.
Parx Online Casino
One of the first operators to open a PA online casino (on July 15, 2019, a few hours after Hollywood), Parx is the state’s biggest brick-and-mortar casino. Now it’s aggressively expanding its online casino business. Parx unveiled plans to become the first in the state to offer live dealer table games, and late last year opened a New Jersey online casino. Its rewards programs allows players to sync up both online casino and sports bets.
SugarHouse Online Casino PA
No. 1 PA online casino revenue producer in 2019 with $11.8 million, nearly $4 million more than No. 2 Hollywood. Brick-and-mortar partner was formerly known as SugarHouse Casino, but changed to Rivers Casino Philadelphia in late 2019. Sugarhouse offers seven different variations of blackjack, most with low minimum bets. Sign-up bonus only requires a one-time playthrough.
The lone operator in the state to offer online poker, which was responsible for more than 60 percent of PokerStars PA revenue in December 2019. Full range of games available on the PokerStars app, where you can even watch full-length TV poker shows for free. Mount Airy Casino partner also offers slots and table games. Only one account needed for online poker, online casino and sports betting.
Unibet Casino PA
European operator is partnered with Mohegan Sun Pocono. Unibet table game selection includes Micro Stakes Blackjack (minimum bet as low as 50 cents) and a half-dozen varieties of roulette. Offers players a shared wallet with online sportsbook and casino, makingit attractive to sports bettors. Customer support available via live chat, phone or email.
FanDuel Casino PA
Industry leader in daily fantasy sports and sports betting has branched out, launching a PA online casino in January 2020 in partnership with Valley Forge Casino Resort. For now, FanDuel online casino is available only as a mobile application, not on tablets or computer. Opened with limited number of slots and table games, but expect more to be added.
Owned and operated by Rush Street Gaming, the same company that owns SugarHouse Online Casino. Both share the same iRush Rewards loyalty program and often feature identical bonus offers. BetRivers offers blackjack and roulette games with minimum bets as little as 10 cents. Site launched on January 30.
Also launched on January 30, about six weeks after Presque Isle Downs partner BetAmerica opened its online sportsbook. BetAmerica’s online casino launched only on desktop, with a mobile app expected to be rolled out soon. Game choices include nearly 50 slot titles and several variants of roulette.
Land-Based Casinos in Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania has 12 land-based casinos/racinos, all of which can have multiple partnerships (called skins) with online/mobile casino operators. Each skin must clearly show a relationship with the land-based casino, which are:
Harrah’s Philadelphia, 777 Harrah’s Blvd, Chester, PA 19013
Hollywood Casino at Penn National, 777 Hollywood Blvd., Grantville, PA 17028
Meadows Casino, 210 Racetrack Road, Washington, PA 15301
Mohegan Sun Pocono, 1280 PA-315, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18702
Mount Airy Casino Resort, 312 Woodland Road, Mount Pocono, PA 18344
Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, 1001 Lafayette Drive, Farmington, PA 15437
Parx Casino, 2999 Street Road, Bensalem, PA 19020
Presque Isle Downs, 8199 Perry Highway, Erie, PA 16509
Rivers Casino Philadelphia, 1001 N. Delaware Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19125
Rivers Casino Pittsburgh, 777 Casino Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Valley Forge Casino Resort, 1160 1st Avenue, King of Prussia, PA 19406
Wind Creek Casino Resort, 77 Wind Creek Blvd., Bethlehem, PA. 18015
Note: Live! Hotel and Casino Philadelphia is under construction with a planned opening in late 2020.
Pennsylvania Online Casino Apps
Simply put, it’s hard to beat the convenience of online casino gambling.
Having a casino app allows you to wager 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at your favorite PA online casino. The apps are available on both iPhone and Android and easy to download.
State-of-the-art technology means app users can practically recreate the live casino experience. No matter which operating system is used, app users don’t have to sacrifice speed or functionality. Slots and video poker, for example, are designed to perfectly fit the screen of your mobile device. The apps can even be used to play online casino games for free.
PA operators will help you download their respective apps off their website. You may be asked to also download a geolocation validator, which ensures that players are wagering from within PA state lines. Some Pennsylvania online casino apps can also be downloaded through the app store.
If you prefer using your computer to wager, virtually all PA online casino sites are available on web browser (Windows and Mac) and don’t require a download.
Games Offered at Online Casinos in PA
The list of games online should mirror or exceed what you find at your favorite PA land-based casino. The list includes:
- Slots: The most popular game at all casinos. Several hundred slot titles are available from the traditional titles (Double Diamond, Cleopatra) to new, exclusive games created by the industry’s leading online software developers. Online slots are easy to play and games with progressive jackpots are always available.
- Blackjack: Popular table game because the house’s edge over the player can be as low as 0.4% if correct basic strategy is used. PA also offers favorable blackjack rules on doubling down and splitting pairs. Several variations of traditional blackjack are available, including Blackjack Switch and Spanish 21, which offer slightly different rules. Unlike land-based casinos which have limited floorspace, online casinos have the opportunity to offer more alternative blackjack games.
- Roulette: A game with simple rules that are easy to learn. Instead of an actual roulette wheel, a random number generator is used. PA online casinos offers several variants of roulette, with European and French Roulette (single zero on the wheel) giving the house a smaller advantage than American Roulette (single and double zero).
- Craps: Basically the same dice game online as in live casinos, with an online randomizer used instead of players rolling the dice. While playing online craps may be less social, one big advantage is being able to learn all of the odds-based bets at your own pace. You can play for free until ready to play for real money.
- Video poker: Perhaps no online game offer more variants than video poker, from the traditional Jacks or Better to offshoots such as Double Double Bonus Poker. If played with correct strategy, some video poker games provide the house with an edge of less than 1%.
- Pai Gow: Popular poker game in which players are dealt seven cards. The goal is to create two hands by making your best five-card hand and best two-card hand. If your two hands beat the dealer’s two hands, your bet wins. If one of your hands wins, it’s a push. If both hands lose, your bet is lost.
- Three-card poker: Simple game in which players make the best hand possible with three cards and must beat the dealer, instead of other players. Sidebets are available with substantial payoffs if the player draws a big hand such as a three-card straight flush or three of a kind.
- Baccarat: Bet on the banker or player (or a tie) to see who gets closer to nine. Tens and picture cards count as zero, aces are worth one, and all other cards count as their numerical value. Sidebets also available, but often carry a big odds edge for the house.
- Hold’em Bonus: Similar to Texas Hold’em, but instead of vying against a table of other players, it’s player vs. the house. Best hand wins. Bonus bets available based on player’s two-card starting hand.
Bonus Offers at PA Online Casinos
The increase in PA online casinos means more competition to sign up new players. Casino operators address this by spending marking and promotional dollars on bonuses and promotions. The bonuses come in various forms, including a first-time deposit bonus (in the form of a deposit match), each with its own wagering requirements and terms and conditions.
No Deposit Welcome Bonus
A way for players to start their casino bankroll with free cash. The bonus, often in the $20-$30 range, is paid after a player registers for an account. To prevent them from just immediately withdrawing the money, they will likely need to wager the bonus money a specified number of times before being able to withdraw it.
Once you have made an initial deposit, your PA casino operator will match up to 100 percent of that amount, sometimes up to $500 or more. These bonuses also come with wagering requirements, so doing the research is important. For example, one bonus offer might include a 10x wagering requirement (the bonus money must be wagered 10 times before it can be redeemed) and another might have a less attractive 30x wagering requirement.
Free Play Bonuses
Many PA online casino operators offer new customers slot spins or free table game vouchers instead of cash. Some casino may give you a combination of money and free play.
These are available at nearly all PA online casinos as a way for operators to reward players. Points, cash or gifts are accumulated based on a casino player’s wagering level. The higher the level, the greater the amount of rewards.
Bonus Code vs. Promo Code: What’s The difference?
They are similar. The difference is promo codes can be used to augment the bonuses offered by PA online casinos. Many of the most player-friendly PA promo codes and bonus offers can be found on Bookies.com.
All bonuses, whether welcome, matched deposit, reload or free spins, are simple to claim. Opt in by entering the bonus or promo code offered to you during the registration process and rewards will be added to your account.
Signing Up For an Online Casino in PA? Here’s What to Do
Whether you use a mobile device or computer, registering a new account is easy and typically takes just minutes. After selecting your casino of choice, you want to obviously create an account. The casino operator’s website will prompt you to the Join Now or Sign Up button to begin the process. You will be asked for the following:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Home address
- Last four digits of social security number
- Cell phone number
Online casinos require the last four digits of your social security number to authenticate a player’s identity before they can wager. This also prevents underage players from gambling online and potential fraud (it’s also used for IRS purposes). After the account is funded, you can wager. There is no state residency requirement to set up an account, but players must be physically located in the state to legally place a wager.
How to Deposit and Withdraw at PA Online Casinos
Making deposits and withdrawals should be hassle-free. Among the most popular methods:
- Play+: A casino prepaid branded card that allows you to easily make deposits and withdrawals. Enrollment is free and you can apply after registering for your online casino account by clicking on the Play+ prompt. Once approved, you can deposit funds immediately. Money can be withdrawn from your online casino account directly into your Play+ account and then accessed at an ATM. Withdrawals usually take 1-2 days. And you can use one Play+ card at multiple casinos.
- PayPal: A popular and common e-wallet option. Players fund their PayPal account with a bank transfer or credit card. If you deposited funds from a PayPal account, you can withdraw funds to the same account. Turnaround time is usually 1-2 days. Neteller is another popular e-wallet choice.
- ACH/bank transfer or wire transfer: An ACH is a bank transfer in which funds are transferred electronically from bank account to online casino account through an automated clearinghouse (ACH). Fees are low. A wire transfer is also between the two accounts, but with no intermediary. Quicker than ACH transactions, but usually with higher fees. Both are popular options for players who don’t have or want to use a credit card.
- PayNearMe: For deposits only, with no bank account needed. Players that choose the PayNearMe option will be sent a barcode, which they can take to any participating PA 7-Eleven, CVS or Family Dollar along with the cash they wish to deposit. The barcode is scanned at the counter. The funds then are deposited to the online account, though there is a daily deposit limit of $500.
- Credit/debit cards: One of the most popular choices to make deposits, though one that has met with mixed success as some financial institutions continue to wrongly reject gambling transactions. Visa and MasterCard are the most accepted options at PA online casinos and funds usually transfer quickly to your account if your bank allows for it. Also be aware that some credit card companies treat these transactions as a cash advance and charge fees.
- Cash at casino cage: Visit the cashier’s cage at the land-based casino that is partnered with your PA online site. You will need to present a photo ID. Processing is immediate.
- Check by mail: If time’s not a factor, you can fund your account with a personal check. A PA online casino will also mail you a withdrawal check if you ask. Payment times range from 1-3 weeks.
How Are Online Casinos Regulated in Pennsylvania?
The Pennsylvania Gaming and Control Board (PGCB) regulates all slots and casino gambling in the state. The PGCB is responsible for licensing, enforcement and testing of all online equipment. Any player who has an issue or complaint with a PA online operator can contact the PGCB to help resolve it.
How to Choose the Best Online Gambling Site in PA
A little research goes a long way. A good starting point is to read the PA online casino reviews here at Bookies.com. Note the ones that seem best suited for you based on game selection, security features and bonus offers.
Register for an account at multiple sites and play some of the demo games for free to test software and speed. Consider which ones offer the best online and mobile experience.
At that point, you can make a small deposit at two or three of your top choices and claim each deposit bonus that is offered. In the end, choose the site that offers the games you want and makes you feel most comfortable.
PA Online Casino FAQ
How old do I need to be to gamble online in PA?
Bettors must be at least 21 years old to wager at PA online casinos.
What types of online gambling are legal in PA?
A similar selection to what you would find at a PA land-based casino and more. That means online slots, table games such as blackjack, roulette and craps, video poker, along with several variants of those games. Other legal PA online gambling options include keno, video gambling terminals, lottery, daily fantasy sports and sports betting.
How do PA online casinos know when I am in PA?
PA online operators use geolocation software to pinpoint a player’s location. When setting up an account on computer, you may be asked to download a geolocation plug-in. Geolocation technology works on computers and mobile devices. Players outside PA state lines cannot legally place a wager.
What are mini-casinos?
Mini-casinos are smaller versions of PA land-based casinos. These satellite facilities can feature up to 750 slot machines and 30 tables games. They cannot be located within 25 miles of one of the state’s land-based casinos or racinos.
Under the PA gambling law passed in 2017, up to 10 mini-casino licenses were to be made available through an auction process. The first auction was held in 2018, with five licenses awarded. A second auction the following year yielded no bidders.
Three of the five mini-casinos are in various stages of development. Construction has begun at Hollywood Casino York, Hollywood Morgantown and Live! Casino Pittsburgh. Potential sinkhole issues have held up a Parx mini-casino in Shippensburg. Mount Airy Casino Resort withdrew its planned mini-casino site north of Pittsburgh after its proposed financing plan was rejected.
How many online casinos are in Pennsylvania?
Eight were operating at the start of February 2020 after three joined the PA online market in January.
Can I play online casino games for free in PA? Can I win real money?
Yes and yes. Online casinos in PA offer a free demo version of their slots and table games. This allows player to sample the games and improve their skills until ready to risk their own money.
What are the tax rates for winnings in PA?
On gambling income, Pennsylvania assesses a 3.07% tax. There is also federal tax that must be paid to the IRS.
Who can receive a license to have an online gambling site in PA?
A PA casino operator applicant is required to pay $10 million for an interactive gaming license that includes online slots, tables games and poker. In addition, the casino operator must have a partnership with one of the state’s brick-and-mortar casinos or racinos; must clear regulatory and legal guidelines; and be approved by the PGCB. Operating a PA online casino is not without its challenges; the state charges a 54 percent tax on slots revenue and 16 percent on table games. (New Jersey charges a 15 percent tax on both).
Are there any loyalty programs at online casinos in PA?
Every PA online casino operator has its own loyalty program to reward players. Many are tiered programs in which players earn credits or points based on the average bet amount, length of play and type of game. The more credits or points earned, the higher the tier level and benefits available to the player. Depending on the loyalty program, benefits can be cashed in for lodging or food discounts at the online casino’s land-based partner, merchandise, cash or gifts.
Are online casinos in Pennsylvania safe?
The PGCB tests all gaming equipment to ensure fairness of all games.
Can I sign up for multiple accounts to play online casino games in PA?
Yes. Signing up at multiple sites allows players to claim multiple bonuses.
Are online casinos in Pennsylvania safe?
If you are playing at a Pennsylvania-licensed online casino site, the games are safe and your account secure. The PGCB regulates gaming in the state and is responsible for testing and ensuring the integrity of all online games and equipment.
What responsible gambling options are available for online casinos in PA?
All PA online casinos must contribute to the state’s Compulsive and Problem Gambling Treatment Fund. Players can contact the PGCB (gamingcontrolboard.pa.gov) and ask the agency to instruct all state-licensed casinos to exclude you from playing for a period of time. Players can also call the PGCB confidential helpline (1-800-GAMBLER) or contact Gamblers Anonymous (gamblersanonymous.org).
About the Author
Chet Fussman is a writer for Bookies.com. Fussman is a former horse racing writer and longtime sports editor of the Florida Times-Union in Jacksonville. He's a poker and blackjack player and frequent sports bettor, who plans to send the U.S. Supreme Court a thank-you card for clearing the way for states to adopt sports wagering. Fussman's philosophy: Don't let the bad beats overshadow your winning ones.
$10 Free on Registration + First two deposits matched up to $251 each time$10 Free on Registration + First two deposits matched up to $251 each time. $10 bonus cash upon registration Enter promo code DOUB...