Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&C apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
Must be 21+ to participate. T&Cs apply.
While eight of the nine top NY sports betting apps are live (four of them since since Jan. 8), the main talk around New York sports betting has been potentially lowering the nation's highest operator tax rate (51%). One way to do that would be to add more operators.Addabbo Jr. the driving force behind mobile sports betting legalization, introduced Senate Bill 8471, which would increase the amount of operators to as many as 16 and drop the tax rate to as low as 25% by 2024 (it's a sliding scale based on the number of operators at a given time; there would be at least 14 by 2023).
More operators won't be added in 2022, as the issue was left unaddressed in the approved state budget. What's more, a bill introduced by Addabbo Jr, aimed at bringing iGaming to the state, failed to gain traction and wasn't addressed prior to the end of the New York legislative session on June 2.As it stands, the operators taking bets in New York are: DraftKings NY, Caesars NY, FanDuel NY, BetMGM NY, BetRivers NY, PointsBet NY, WynnBet NY and Resorts World NY (Bally Bet NY will launch in the near future).
For now, those will be the only operators since lawmakers are hesitant to mess with a good thing. New Yorkers have now bet more than $7 billion since sports betting launched on Jan. 8, according to the numbers released by the New York State Gaming Commission. Mobile sports betting has generated roughly $263 million in taxes for the state.
New York Sports Betting Legislation Updates 2022
- May 31, 2022: New York Governor Kathy Hochul announces New York has taken roughly $7 billion in wagers since the launch on Jan. 8, which has translated to about $263 million in tax revenue for the state.
- April 7, 2022: More operators will not enter the New York sports betting market in 2022 after legislation to reduce the 51% operator tax rate is omitted from the state budget.
- April 6, 2022: Caesars Sportsbook announces a multi-year agreement that makes it the official sponsor of the New York Mets, who will open a 13,000 square-foot betting space.
- March 22, 2022:: The New York Supreme Court rules Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) is a game of skill, rather than chance, which means New Yorkers will still be able to play DFS. DFS was allowed while the case made its way through the court system.
- March 4, 2022: Senator Joseph Addabbo Jr. introduces Senate Bill 8471, which is aimed at lower the 51% tax rate for sports betting operators in New York. March 3, 2022: Resorts World launches in New York, becoming the eighth operator to go live since online betting launched in New York on Jan. 8.
- Feb 25, 2022: Senator Joseph Addabbo introduces Senate Bill 8412, which would legalize iGaming (online casinos) at a tax rate of 25%. In addition, New Yorkers bet roughly $2.8 billion in less than two months of mobile sports betting, according to the New York State Gaming Commission. That has generated more than $90 million in tax revenue for the state.
- Feb 14, 2022: Governor Kathy Hochul reports New York took roughly $2 billion in wagers during the first 30 days of regulated online sports betting, which has generated more than $70 million in tax revenue for the state.
Top New York Sportsbooks
|Sportsbook||Best For||Deposit Bonus||Available Since|
|BetMGM NY||Rewards||Risk-Free Bet Up To $1,000||1/17/22|
|Caesars Sportsbook NY||Welcome Offer||Risk-Free Bet Up to $1,500||1/8/22|
|DraftKings NY||Live Betting||20% Match Up To $1,000||1/8/22|
|BetRivers NY||Desktop Site||100% Deposit Match Up To $250||1/8/22|
|FanDuel NY||Promos & Odds Boosts||$1,000 No Sweat First Bet||1/8/22|
|WynnBet NY||User Experience||Bet $10 Get $200 in Free Bets||2/4/22|
|PointsBet NY||Variety of Odds||Risk-Free Bet Up To $500||1/27/22|
|Bally Bet NY||Reduced "juice" offers||Risk-Free Bet Up To $550 (expected)||TBD|
|Resorts World||Variety of Markets||Risk-Free Bet Up To $250||March 3|
New York Sports Betting Goes Live - Exclusive Interview with Ken Fuchs
Benefits of Legal Online Sports Betting in NY
New York immediately became the biggest regulated online sports betting market in the nation and the financial impact has been enormous New Yorkers bet more than $7 billion since New York sports betting launched on Jan. 8. New York has the highest tax rate in the state at 51%, which means that the state has already taken roughly $267 million in taxes from sports betting.
Prior to this, NY only allowed in-person sports betting at upstate tribal casinos locations not convenient to the New York metropolitan area (population 20 million). Consider that more than 85% U.S. sports betting handle is placed online and it’s not hard to imagine the state’s massive sports betting potential.
Meanwhile, New York sports bettors have access to sports wagering 24/7 on their mobile device or home computer and no longer have to make the drive to New Jersey to bet on sports.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in New York?
Yes, online sports betting is legal and eight of the nine approved operators are taking bets. The operators currently taking bets are: Caesars Sportsbook NY, DraftKings NY, FanDuel NY, BetRivers NY, BetMGM NY, PointsBet NY, WynnBet NY, and Resorts World NY, which launched on March 3. The first four launched on Jan. 8 and New Yorkers have bet more than $7 billion since the launch. New York sports betting has brought in rougly $267 million in taxes since launch.
With the launch of Resorts World on March 3, the only other operator among the New York sports betting apps yet to go live is Bally Bet. Keep this page bookmarked for updates.
Best New York Online Betting Sites
More than a dozen NY sportsbook operators were among the NY license applicants or their partners. Nine received licenses as part of the initial launch for online sports betting in New York. Among them are:
Caesars Sportsbook New York
Caesars Sportsbook NY is one of the best online gaming experiences in the country. Caesars Sportsbook made a big splash recently when it purchased U.K-based gaming giant William Hill, rebranded and made a huge marketing push.
With this rebranding, they are pushing for a large market share in New York. This is evidenced by their welcome offer for New York sports bettors, which offers up a risk-free bet up to $1,500 using the promo code BOOKIES15. Place your first wager, and if it loses, you'll get that amount back in the form of a free bet (up to $1,500). At Caesars NY Sportsbook, there are lots of ongoing promotions, great odds, a great rewards program and best-in-class customer service.
- Claim the Caesars Sportsbook New York Promo Code
Risk Free Bet up to $1,500
BetMGM New York
Online division of gambling giant MGM Resorts International offers one of the most comprehensive sports betting menus in the industry. Part of NY partnership with FanDuel and DraftKings, BetMGM New York offers aggressive bonus offers, daily odds boosts, live streaming and more. New users can get a Risk-Free Bet up to $1,000 with the promo code BOOKIESNY. With that same promo code, new users can Bet $10 to win $200 on the Knicks regardless of the outcome (paid in site credits).
- Claim the BetMGM New York Bonus Code
Risk Free Bet up to $1,000
BetRivers New York
Already has a presence in New York, where it operates retail sportsbook at Rivers Casino Schenectady. Attractive bonus offer requires only a 1X playthrough before bonus money can be redeemed. Part of one of two wagering bids submitted by sportsbook provider Kambi.
- Claim the BetRivers New York Promo Code
Deposit $250 Get $250 in Free Bets
WynnBET New York
WynnBet launched in New York on Feb. 4. New Yorkers will likely be familiar with this brand as many undoubtedly have used it in neighboring New Jersey after it launched there in 2020. Offering one of the best welcome offers in the industry and a polished sports betting app, WynnBET New York should gain market share quickly, much like it has in other states.
- Claim the WynnBET New York Promo Code
Risk Free Bet up to $1,000
FanDuel New York
Well-known online betting brand FanDuel Sportsbook App is the No. 1 operator in neighboring New Jersey, the nation’s top online sports betting state. Solid bonus offers, popular player-friendly app, fast payment options. Already operates in New York as partner of Lago Resort & Casino in Waterloo.
- Claim the FanDuel New York Promo Code
DraftKings New York
Normally rivals, DraftKings Sportsbook is partnered with FanDuel in New York, which would give New York sports bettors access to two of the industry’s biggest platforms. DraftKings, sports betting partner of the New York Giants, offers bettors plenty of promotions, in-game betting options and one of the industry’s most downloaded and highest-rated apps.
- Claim the DraftKings New York Promo Code
NY Sports Betting FAQs
|⚖️ Is online sports betting legal in New York?||Yes, online sports betting has been legal in New York since Jan. 8, 2022. There are nine licenses and 8 operators are currently taking bets. They are: Caesars, BetMGM, DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers, PointsBet, WynnBet and Resorts World. Bally Bet will launch soon.|
|🎰 What is the legal gambling age in NY?||Anyone who is 21+ can legally gamble in the state of New York.|
|🗽 Do I need to be a NY resident to bet in NY?||No, you do not need to be a NY resident to bet in New York. The only stipulation is you need to be within state borders to place a bet. Geolocation tracking will determine if your bet can be placed.|
|🎰 Does NY have online casinos?:||No, but Senator Joseph Addabbo Jr., who played an important role in legalizing sports betting in NY, recently introduced a bill that would legalize iGaming.|
New York Sports Betting History
2022: Online sports betting launches with Caesars Sportsbook, DraftKings, FanDuel and BetRivers becoming the first operators to take bets online in New York.
2021: Then-Gov. Andrew Cuomo reaches deal with state lawmakers to include mobile sports revenue as part of the fiscal 2022 state budget. State set to select two online applicants in December.
2019: NY State Gaming Commission approves sports wagering rules and regulations and allows the state’s upstate casinos to begin in-person betting.
2018: U.S. Supreme Court overturns PASPA, giving all states outside Nevada the opportunity to legalize online sports betting and in-person betting.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo Legalizes New York Sports Betting
After initially claiming that online sports betting violated the state constitution, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo changed his stance, and on April 19, 2021, signed budget legislation that includes mobile sports betting. All sports betting applicants will propose a specific tax rate, though Cuomo said several times before resigning from office that he anticipated a tax rate of about 50% for the state, which would be one of the highest in the nation, and potentially limit the number of operators, who must agree to the rate - which could be even higher than 50%.
New York Sports Betting Law
- Two online platform providers will be chosen, with each paying a one-time $25 million fee to offer sports betting and to be housed in a NY casino.
- Each applicant can have as many as four "skins," or partners. That will provide NY bettors with some options, but operators will be saddled with a high tax rate, which could impact betting prices.
- Wagering on college games played in the state is permitted, but not on games involving NY-based college teams.
- The state will spend up to $6 million per year to address problem gambling treatment and resources.
NEW: Ontario Sports Betting Is Now Live!
How We Pick the Best NY Sport Betting Sites
Among the aspects we consider when selecting the best sports betting sites in New York and elsewhere:
How are NY Sports Betting Sites Regulated?
The New York State Gaming Commission is responsible for licensing and enforcement of all sports betting rules and regulations. Bookies.com only recommends licensed and regulated betting sites. Offshore sportsbooks lack proper regulation and should be avoided.
New York Sports Betting Sites Reputation
Bettors should seek sports wagering sites that have a history of successful online betting operations in other states or countries. Sites should be trustworthy and keep personal and wagering information secure.
NY bettors should have access to betting lines and their New York sportsbook account 24/7 from their smartphone or home computer from anywhere in the state.
Reliable means finding an NY online sportsbook that will process deposits and withdrawals in a timely fashion and provide customer support whenever you request it.
Site and Mobile Experience
Online wagering accounts for more than 85% of all sports betting handle in the U.S., so the mobile experience is crucial. That means an app available for Android and iOS devices that is responsive, intuitive and easy to use.
Types of Sports Bets Offered in New York
New York online betting sites will include all the wager-types you will find at any in-person sportsbook. The most popular include:
- Point Spread bets: Sportsbooks handicap the teams to balance the odds, typically at -110. A favorite "gives" points; an underdog "gets" points. If the Knicks are -3.5 vs the Celtics, they need to win by 4 or more points for a bet on them to cash.
- Moneyline: Is simply betting on the winner. A favorite has "negative" odds; an underdog has plus-odds. If the Yankees are -160 and the Red Sox are +130, a Yankee bettor must wager $160 to win $100 while a Boston bettor would win $130 on a $100 wager should the Red Sox win.
- Over-under (totals): Betting on the combined score to go over or under a total set by the sportsbook.
- Parlays: Multiple bets combined into one wager; generates better odds and a bigger payout, but if one leg fails, the parlay fails.
- Teasers: A parlay in which the lines are shifted a set number of points, giving them a better changes of winning but lowering the potential payout.
- Proposition bets: Bets within a game that don't have a direct impact on the outcome. An example of a player prop is if a player will score more than 20 points in a game or throw for more than 250 yards in a game. A team prop could be on which team gets to 10 points first in an NBA game.
- Futures bets: Typically bets on season-long outcomes or just future events. An NFL futures bet might be on the Jets to win more than five games in a season or the Giants to win the NFC East.
- Live betting: Betting on a game after it has started. Sportsbooks offer moneyline, props, spreads and totals with constantly updated odds throughout a game.
What Sports Leagues Can I Bet On in New York?
New York online sportsbooks offer wagering on all the most popular sports leagues in the U.S. and many international ones. Betting is also permitted on popular NCAA college sports, such as football and basketball.
When Can I Play Daily Fantasy Sports in New York?
Sports betting in New York is officially live and you can begin placing wagers and taking advantage of the top sign-up bonuses in the state. The state of New York launched with DraftKings NY, FanDuel NY, Caesars NY, and BetRivers NY as the original four sports betting operators. BetMGM NY went live on Jan. 17, PointsBet NY launched on Jan. 27 and WynnBet went live on Feb. 4. The most recent to launch was Resorts World, on March 3. Bally Bet still awaiting regulatory approval. Daily fantasy operators are permitted to continue to operate in NY and it will be interesting to see the volume DFS continues to demand.
How to Sign up and Place a Sports Bet in New York
Signing up for a New York online sportsbook account is quick and easy:
- Select the New York online sportsbook that best fits your needs.
- Download the app or register directly on the betting site. You will need to supply personal information, including the last four digits of your Social Security number.
- Choose between several deposit methods to provide wagering funds.
- When the funds appear in your account balance, you may begin wagering. Simply find the sport and betting lines you want, enter an amount and submit the wager.
Generous and Ongoing Sports Bet Bonuses
Online sports betting sites provide bonus offers to sign up new players or reward existing ones. Most sports betting bonuses will put free money into your account, but generally include wagering requirements before the bonus money can be redeemed. We read the fine print in evaluating all bonus offers.
Your New York sportsbook site should offer several options to deposit funds into your account. Examples includes Play+, PayPal and other e-wallets, credit/debit cards, prepaid cards, electronic banking, ACH, cash at casino cages and PayNearMe.
Variety of Games to Bet On
Most top sportsbooks in New York offers a comprehensive menu of sports, including all of the most popular leagues, such as the,NFL NBA, MLB and NHL. Several also offer a robust selection of international and niche sports, such as Aussie Rules Football, cricket, Rugby, table tennis and more.
Odds and moneyline prices will tend to be similar at NY sportsbooks, but not the same. Finding the best point spread and moneyline price ensures value and can make the difference between winning and losing in sports betting.
Deposits and Withdrawals
Most deposit methods should transfer funds to your online sports betting account instantly. For withdrawals, how many options are available and how convenient are they?
You can request a withdrawal at any time. Withdrawals usually require a 24-48 hour approval process, with payouts available soon after that. Some online sportsbooks allows players to track the status of their withdrawals.
Security at Online Sportsbooks in New York
New York bettors should feel confident they are placing safe and legal sports wagers. Your New York sportsbook should operate on a secure site and utilize encrypted technology that is available to the leading financial institutions.
Are Mobile Sports Betting Apps Available in NY?
All New York sports betting operators will offer mobile apps that are free to download for Android and iOS devices. These multi-functional apps provide state-of-the-art technology and allow you to do everything (and more) you can do on your home computer, including wagering, making deposits and withdrawals and claiming bonus offers. The top New York sportsbook promo codes offered in NY, likely in the first month of 2022. The top NY sports betting apps are some of the best in the country after trials and errors getting done in other markets.
Bonuses & Promotions at NY Sports Betting Sites.
Most bonus offers are geared toward signing up new players. The most popular are a risk-free first bet; deposit match; and a small welcome bonus just for signing up. Check out the Top New York Sportsbook Promo Codes and compare.It’s important to read the terms and conditions for each offer. Promotions will vary by NY sportsbook operator and are likely to include free odds boosts, parlay insurance, free bets and reduced juice on specific games.
Signing up at more than one NY sportsbook allows players to claim multiple bonus and promotions offers.
Top 5 New York Sports Teams to Bet On
The New York metropolitan area has the most major league pro sports franchises in the U.S., giving NY bettors plenty of hometown options.
The Giants have won four Super Bowls, but have fallen on hard times recently. The Giants have had one winning season since 2016 and seem to be stuck in neutral. Perhaps new head coach Brian Daboll, who was the mastermind behind the Bills' offense, can help turn things around.
The Jets finished 4-13 in 2022 and rookie Zach Wilson endured a ton of growing pains. But they did stun the AFC South champion Titans, one of a few signs that coach Robert Saleh appears to have the Jets at least moving in the right direction.
Behind strong-armed QB Josh Allen, the Bills are among the AFC favorites to make it to Arizona for Super Bowl 57 after losing in the AFC Divisional Round to the Kansas City Chiefs in an instant classic. The Bills appeared in a record four consecutive Super Bowls (1991-94) but lost each one.
The Yankees are among the most tradition-rich franchises in all of major league sports and have won an MLB-record 27 World Series championships.
NY MetsThe Mets, who began play in 1962, have two World Series titles. They are re-energized under new owner Steve Cohen, who hasn't been afraid to use his billions to create a more competitive team (see the signing of Max Scherzer).
The Knicks ended an eight-year NBA playoff drought in 2020-21 and are looking to return to the postseason in 2022 behind the duo of Julius Randle and RJ Barrett.
Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving have a new teammate - Ben Simmons - and are still the favorite to win the Eastern Conference despite a turbulent season that has featured KD getting injured and James Harden being shipped to Philadelphia.
New York Rangers
The Rangers ended a 54-year Stanley Cup drought in 1993-94 and haven't won Lord Stanley's Cup since (they lost to the Kings in 2013-14). There hasn't been much success recently, as the Rangers trying for just their second playoff appearance since 2016-17.
New York Islanders
The Islanders, who were eliminated in the Finals and Semifinals the past two seasons, moved into a new home at Belmont Park in Nov. 2021. They haven't lived up to expectations while playing in their new home in 2022, some of which can be attributed to fatigue from their long postseason run in 2021 - the Islanders are one of the older teams in the league.
The Sabres are the longest continuously running active NHL franchise to have never won the Stanley Cup and it doesn't seem like that is going to change any time soon. Buffalo is one of the worst teams in the NHL in 2022.
Latest New York Mobile Sports Betting Numbers
NEW YORK MOBILE SPORTS BETTING, MAY 9-15
NY CUMULATIVE TOTALS, JAN. 8-MAY 15
Updated May 26
- Governor Kathy Hochul announces New Yorkers bet roughly $2 billion in the first 30 days of online sports betting, which equates to more than $90 million in tax revenue for the state.
- The January mobile sports betting handle in NY shatters the national record, previously held by New Jersey, with $1.6 billion wagered, according to numbers released by the New York State Gaming Commission.
- The New York State Gaming Commission reports New Yorkers bet $603 million during the first two weeks (ending Jan. 9 and Jan. 16) of online and mobile betting.
- New York totals $150 million in first weekend of online sports betting.
- GeoComply, a location tracking company, reports New York's first weekend of sports betting registered 17.2 million cell phone "pings."
Sports Betting New York FAQs
Is online sports betting legal in New York?
Yes. New York online sports betting is live at Caesars Sportsbook, BetMGM, DraftKings, BetRivers, FanDuel, PointsBet, WynnBet and Resorts World. The final operator, Bally Bet, will launch at a later date.
Will I need to be a NY resident to bet online?
No. But you must physically located inside New York State to place a legal wager.
How will an online sportsbook know my location?
Through geolocation technology, which uses Wi-Fi and GPS to accurately pinpoint the location of all wagers. Wagers made from outside the state are automatically denied access.
What is the legal gambling age in NY?
Bettors must be 21 or over to participate in New York sports betting.
Can I bet online on my phone in NY?
Yes. Mobile sports apps provide online wagering on your smartphone. The apps are available for Android and iOS devices.
Are NY sports betting sites safe?
Yes, as long they are licensed and regulated by the New York State Gaming Commission, which oversees gambling in the state. Offshore sports betting sites lack proper regulation and are not safe.
What do I need to create an online sports betting account in NY?
You will be asked to provide information such as name, address, contact number and last four digits of social security number to verify age and identity. You will also create a username and password.
Do NY online casinos have sports betting?
Online casinos are not legal in New York, however, Senator Joseph Addabbo Jr. recently introduced a bill that would legalize iGaming at a tax rate of 25% (sports betting is at 51%).